The official site of the Nebraska Unicameral Legislature

Sen. Tim Gragert

Sen. Tim Gragert

District 40

The content of these pages is developed and maintained by, and is the sole responsibility of, the individual senator's office and may not reflect the views of the Nebraska Legislature. Questions and comments about the content should be directed to the senator's office at

**This post will be updated as more resources become available**

NEMA has established a hotline for Nebraskans impacted by flooding. Impacted persons with questions should call (402) 817-1551. Additional resources can be found by visiting


*******Updated information above 3/20/2019 at 12:15 PM*******


On March 12, Governor Pete Ricketts declared a state of emergency to deal with both the blizzard in the west and the flooding throughout the state. Since then, the counties of Boyd, Cedar, Dixon, Holt, Knox & Rock have submitted emergency declarations to NEMA (Nebraska Emergency Management Agency), along with numerous cities. NEMA is working to expedite a major disaster declaration, waiting to do the damage assessments until later, as there is no doubt that Nebraska will qualify for a federal disaster funding through FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency).
There are two types of assistance from FEMA – Public assistance and individual assistance.
Public assistance will help repair public infrastructure. The state and local governments will each pay 12.5% of the costs and FEMA pays 75%. Local leaders are to contact the county emergency manager who in turn contacts NEMA with their needs.
Individual assistance helps businesses and individuals. It is usually difficult to qualify for individual assistance, but officials believe we will qualify when considering the number of homes that received major damage. A number of factors are considered, such as the insurance held and level of income. If Nebraska qualifies, a FEMA specialist will be of assistance. Information would be distributed and an announcement would be made in the counties that the programs are available.
As we wait to find out what assistance is available through FEMA, NEMA officials gave the following advice:
  • Document your losses – pictures, damage estimate, etc.
  • Contact your insurance agency – determine what you may be eligible for
  • Get legal paperwork together – mortgage, deeds, etc.
  • Document your income levels

*******Updated information above 3/18/2019 at 4:45 PM*******

The following services will serve as resources to contact if you have been affected during the recent flood:


Farmers and ranchers impacted by the flood and in need of hay, feed stuffs, fencing materials, volunteer help, equipment, etc. – call 1-800-831-0550. Persons wanting to donate any of the above can call the same number.

More disaster relief resources for farmers and ranchers available at:


Livestock Indemnity Program – a USDA-FSA disaster assistance program that helps producers recoup losses experienced by adverse weather events. Notify local FSA office of livestock losses within 30 days and document losses.
Emergency Livestock Assistance Program – another USDA-FSA disaster assistance program that covers some livestock losses that do not fall under LIP. It may financially assist with livestock feed losses, such as bales that are destroyed in the flood.

Emergency Conservation Program – can provide some cost-share assistance to rehabilitate farmland and pasture damaged by natural disasters and help restore fences. Contact your local FSA county office.


Disaster Relief Fund – provides emergency aid to farmers, ranchers and rural communities affected by storms and flooding. Apply at:…

Persons can donate to Nebraska Farm Bureau Foundation or at:
Agriculture Disaster Exchange – where Farm Bureau members can seek and offer help at:


Veterans affected by flooding – contact your County Veteran Service Officer to see if qualify for food, clothing and emergency housing


For help with home clean-up, cutting trees, removing drywall, insulation, flooring, furniture and appliances or other physical labor-type jobs – call the Crisis Clean Up Hotline at (833) 566-2476 or (402) 556-2476 to get on a needs list

For assistance with food, shelter, clothing and personal goods – call 211


Monetary donations – Nebraska/SW Iowa Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund

Livestock feed (hay drive) – Curt Zimmerer, Verdigre (402) 841-2835

Sen. Tim Gragert

District 40
Room #11th Floor
P.O. Box 94604
Lincoln, NE 68509
Phone: (402) 471-2801
Search Senator Page:
Committee Assignments
Search Current Bills
Search Laws
Live Video Streaming
Find Your Senator
To Top