The Education Committee is responsible for processing legislation involving the following subject areas:
- School districts; organization; powers; transportation; teachers; employees
- Public, private, and parochial schools; programs; special education; gifted; student assessment; early childhood education; nutrition
- Postsecondary education; state colleges and universities; community colleges; vocational schools
- State aid; TEEOSA; school lands and funds
- State Board of Education; Department of Education; educational service units; learning communities; NETC; Nebraska Public Media
- Board of Educational Lands and Funds; Board of Trustees of Nebraska State Colleges; Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education; Technical Advisory Committee for Statewide Assessment
During session, the Education Committee meets on Mondays and Tuesdays in Room 1525 on the 1st Floor of the Capitol.